I am very honoured to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Life As I Interpret It – thank you so very much 🙂
I’m obviously very new to this whole blogging thing here on WordPress (my prior experience on Xanga was very different), so I did a bit of Googling to find out just what this Liebster Award is about. It appears to be a form of recognition for new bloggers, although some view blogging awards with a bit of disdain, grouping them in the same category as chain emails. Check out what Wording Well had to say about it.
In any case, that did not take away from my excitement because who doesn’t love to be recognized, especially when you’re brand spanking new?!
According to my nominator, these are the rules:
- Insert the Liebster award logo in your post
- Thank and link those who nominated you
- (After reading the official rules) You also have to reveal 11 interesting facts about yourself!
- Answer the questions designated by the blogger who nominated you
- Nominate up to 11 other new bloggers with less than 100 followers
- Ask 11 questions of your own to your nominees that they have to answer
- Notify your nominees about The Liebster Award
- Include instructions of the process in your post
Rule #3: Reveal 11 interesting facts about yourself:
- At the risk of exposing myself, I am a hardcore BlackBerry fan. My first SmartPhone ever was a BlackBerry, and I bought the BlackBerry Classic as soon as I could. I hate touchscreens and am holding out as long as I can, but this may be a losing battle 😦
- As much as I realize how valuable thriftiness and frugality can be, I struggle with this because I like nice things and I love good food.
- I love 6 inch heels. Nothing makes you feel more confident than a really good pair of super high heels … until you trip and fall of course. Luckily, there are only very few incidents I can think of off the top of my head.
- I am a junk food fanatic. Last night, the Mr. went out to get one bag of Ruffles (Sour Cream & Onion), Lays (Ketchup), a bar of white chocolate and a bag of Sour Patch Kids. I think we’re all done.
- I’m not a fan of water. I’d rather drink juice or Nestea any day, although I know how sugary those drinks are. I don’t like carbonated drinks either, but I will drink a nice Root Beer or Mountain Dew.
- I am currently fighting off my Clash of Clans addiction. I am the leader of my clan, I’m at Town Hall 10, but it’s hard to keep up when I can only play on my iPad.
- Before we brought our Doberman puppy home, I was terrified of all dogs, including my cousin’s 2 pound lap dog. Go figure…
- I’m not really a nature/outdoorsy/active/athletic person. But almost every weekend now, we’re out on a trail somewhere with our Doberman. I guess it’s true what they say… getting a dog really does change your life.
- My ultimate feast: sushi, a medium rare steak, lobster and oysters, with a crème brûlée to finish.
- I only learned how to cook because I moved out.
- I live about 30 steps (or however many steps 2 houses down would be) from my grandparents and my parents and brother. Nearly everyone I’ve told this to in real life looks at me in disbelief and tells me how much they’d hate that. Truth is, I strongly requested my parents to move when we were purchasing our home, and after much
arm-twistingpersuasion, they finally gave in. A few months later, so did my grandparents 🙂 I have never once regretted this decision, and we all could not be happier with the situation!
Rule #4: Answer the questions designated by the blogger who nominated you
- What have you done today that has made you happy, joyful, or excited? This is a good question, because today I purchased my domain (www.unchained55.com)! That was exciting for me.
- Is Friday your favorite day, too? Yup, unless Friday is a holiday, in which case Thursday becomes my favourite day. Thursday is also currently my favourite day because it’s my payday!
- It took me years (literally) to find the right floss for me; do you have such experience you would like to share? Hahaha great question! I use minty floss picks!
- How many shoes do you currently have? How many did you not use in the last 1 year? Okay, I didn’t go and count, but I’m going to guess 20, give of take. Actually, maybe more, including boots and sandals…
- What are your opinions on minimalism? Genius. Thankfully, the Mr. isn’t materialistic either, so this isn’t too difficult. It’s me that we are more likely to run into issues with…
- if there was one advice you could share with us about living a simple life, what would that be? Life in a smaller home with no storage. When we lived in a 624 square foot condo, even though we already had the house, we were careful with what we bought because we couldn’t store much more without having to drive back to the house. Even though we don’t have a huge house (just a touch over 2,000 square feet), the unfinished basement (approx 800 square feet) just invites piles and piles of stuff to accumulate without us ever going through them.
- Which one do you like most and why? Novels, poetry, movies. Novels, because I love reading a good ol’ book, and I love that it helps me become a better writer as I learn new terminology and different phrases. Movies, because it’s a lazy/passive way to get a good story in.
- List one meal you are very fond of. See under Rule #3, #9 for my ultimate feast.
- House chores – on a scale from 1 (least) to 10 (most), how much do you like them? Depends on the day. When I’m motivated and/or don’t have anything better to do, it can be a 10. Other days, it can be 1.
- Who is the most influential person in your academic life (e.g. school or profession)? Ahhh, this one’s a toughie, but I think this award belongs to none other than my mother dearest. She, like me, has a love of learning and always strives for perfection. I felt better when she told me she cried when she got her first B+ in university – I totally did the exact same thing. *blush*
- What are you grateful for today? There isn’t much not to be grateful for – my husband, my puppy, my family, my in-law family (they’re great! No monster-in-laws for me!!!!), my small but amazing circle of friends, our home, our financial situation, my new job, our health… I am also very grateful to have been nominated for this award 😉
Rule #5: Nominate up to 11 new bloggers with less than 100 followers
Here are two of the blogs I’ve recently started following that also touch on Personal Finance:
Rule #6: Questions to ask your nominees
- When did you start blogging?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What’s your guilty splurge?
- What’s the biggest savings you found this month?
- What would you say to readers trying to get out of debt?
- How much money do you think you need to make a year to life comfortably? What is your present income compared to this magic figure (i.e. less, more, on par?)
- When do you hope to retire?
- Where do you hope to retire and why?
- You just won the lottery. How much would it have to be for you to quit working?
- You just won a vehicle of your choice, fully paid (but you’ll have to cover all other expenses going forward). Which would you pick and why?
- You just won your dream home on your dream plot of land. What’s in this dream home of yours?